Every game to begin the season has been a close

panxing18

Every game to begin the season has been a close

Postby panxing18 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:26 am

LOS ANGELES (AP) — call for the San Francisco Giants.After a rough start in San Diego — where they dropped three of four — they eked out a 4-2 victory over the rival Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday night.Four of the Giants’ first five games have been decided by two runs or fewer; last season Christian Arroyo Jersey , they had the most such games in the majors like that.“We had a tough weekend in San Diego and tonight we got good pitching, good defense, and timely hitting,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “We’re going to have a lot of close games and we have to play like this to win.”Brandon Belt hit a go-ahead, two-run double off Scott Alexander in the seventh inning to propel the Giants. He homered on the first pitch from struggling reliever Joe Kelly leading off the sixth that left San Francisco trailing 2-1.“Home runs aren’t my focus but anytime you get a good pitch to hit and get good wood on it, it feels good,” he said.Pinch-hitter Yangervis Solarte reached on an infield single to third leading off the seventh. Two outs later, Solarte scored on Pablo Sandoval’s single that took one bounce off the mound and sailed into center field. Fans lustily booed Kelly (0-1).Steven Duggar followed with a double to center, and boos again rang in Kelly’s ears as he walked to the dugout after being removed.“That’s nothing,” said Kelly, a World Series winner last year with the Boston Red Sox. “I played in a place where it’s a lot worse.”Trailing 4-2 in the ninth, Dodgers pinch-hitter Max Muncy walked. But Cody Bellinger and Chris Taylor struck out to end the game, wasting a stellar start from young left-hander Julio Urias.“He was fantastic Nathan Eovaldi Jersey ,” raved Dodgers manager Dave Roberts about Urias. “He had command of all his pitches, got ahead of guys. It was fun to watch.”Trevor Gott (1-0) earned the victory and Will Smith recorded his second save.Kelly has proven disappointing in his first two outings. He signed a $25 million, three-year deal to come over from the Red Sox in December after not allowing a run in five World Series appearances against the Dodgers last fall.The right-hander gave up three hits, two earned runs, and a walk in 1 1/3 innings against Arizona in his debut Friday.“Two really, really horse crap outings, results-wise,” Kelly said. “The key for me is pitching with the proper mechanics, which I think is there. Everything is coming out crisp. The results will come.”Giants third baseman Evan Longoria went 0 for 4 with a strikeout in his return after a sore left calf kept him out Sunday against San Diego.Taylor and pinch-hitter Alex Verdugo homered in the fifth to give the Dodgers a 2-0 lead. Their power surge carried over from a season-opening series against Arizona in which they smashed 14 homers.The Dodgers were limited to a trio of singles over the first four innings before Taylor and Verdugo homered off Drew Pomeranz in his Giants’ debut to give the Dodgers a 2-0 lead.For Taylor, it was his first hit of the season after going 0 for 9 against the Diamondbacks.One out later, Verdugo stroked his second career pinch-hit homer into center field. He came in for Urias, who made his first start in nearly two years with Clayton Kershaw and Rich Hill on the injured list.Urias allowed three hits over five innings and struck out seven. The 22-year-old spent most of last season recovering from left shoulder surgery.“I felt really confident and comfortable,” Urias said through a translator. “Everything was working really well.”Pomeranz gave up two runs and six hits in five innings. The left-hander struck out six and walked one while falling to 1-5 in eight career appearances against the Dodgers. He faced them for the first time since 2016.“I was amped up when the game started and was throwing hard http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authentic-evan-longoria-jersey ,” he said. “I was excited to be out there. I was maybe a little too pumped up because my pitches were missing a little bit early on but I settled myself down.”TRAINER’S ROOMDodgers: Kershaw (shoulder inflammation) will make a minor league rehab start in Oklahoma City on Thursday. After that, the left-hander and the team will decide whether he needs one more start before returning to the majors.HOMER HAPPYThe Dodgers have homered in all five games to start the season, the first time they’ve done so since 2003.UP NEXTMadison Bumgarner (0-1, 2.57 ERA) takes the mound for the Giants against fellow lefty Hyun-Jin Ryu (1-0, 1.50) in the middle game of the series. CHICAGO (AP) — Daniel Palka led off the ninth inning with a home run, Carlos Rodon matched a career high by throwing eight innings of scoreless four-hit ball and the Chicago White Sox beat the Cleveland Indians 1-0 on Friday night.Palka launched a 1-2 pitch from Neil Ramirez (0-2) six rows up into the left field seats for his 18th homer. The shot ended Chicago’s three-game losing streak.Jace Fry (1-2), the White Sox’s third reliever, got the last two outs for his first major league victory.Rodon and Cleveland rookie Shane Bieber tossed crisp scoreless ball deep into the game. Each was relieved after 106 pitches.Rodon was sharp for a sixth straight start and has a 1.27 ERA in the span. The left-hander struck out five and walked two — both in the first and the only time Rodon allowed two baserunners in an inning — before being replaced by Xavier Cedeno to start the ninth.Rodon allowed doubles with one out to Francisco Lindor in the third and Jose Ramirez in the sixth, but neither advanced.Bieber matched Rodon through 6 2/3 innings, yielding only three hits — including two doubles — while striking out eight and walking two in this first career start against the White Sox. The right-hander was replaced with two outs in the seventh by Oliver PerezThe White Sox managed two baserunners only once against Bieber, in the second with two outs.Yoan Moncada lined a double to the right-center wall to lead off the fifth, but didn’t advance as Bieber struck out Ryan LaMarre and Nicky Delmonico before getting Yolmer Sanchez to fly out.The White Sox used three relievers as they escaped a Cleveland threat in the ninth.Cedeno walked Melky Cabrera to lead off, then Juan Minaya got Brandon Guyer to ground into a force at second. Yonder Alonso greeted Jace Fry with a single Matt Andriese Jersey , but Fry struck out Jan Gomes and got Jason Kipnis to pop out.AL Central Leading Cleveland is 35-17 against division opponents.TRAINER’S ROOM:Indians: DH Edwin Encarnacion left the game in the third with left arm discomfort and was replaced by Cabrera. .. Manager Terry Francona had no update on OF Leonys Martin, who was placed on the 10-disabled list on Thursday with an unspecified illness that’s not baseball-related. Francona, however, hinted Martin’s condition could be serious. “What I would say, if you are into saying prayers and things like that, keep him in your thoughts,” Francona said. “He’s at the (Cleveland) Clinic and getting good care.” … RHP Josh Tomlin (strained right hamstring) and RHP Nick Goody (right elbow inflammation) threw bullpen sessions in Cleveland on Friday. Tomlin is expected to throw a rehab start at Triple-A Columbus on Monday and Goody will head to the Arizona League for a rehab assignment.White Sox: Manager Rick Renteria said the team will know in the next couple of day if INF/OF Leury Garcia (left hamstring strain) will need a rehab stint. Garcia was injured on Sunday at Tampa Bay.UP NEXT: Indians RHP Trevor Bauer (11-6, 2.25) takes the mound against White Sox RHP James Shields (4-13, 4.50) on Saturday night. Bauer has won his last three starts, and is 4-0 in his last seven with a 1.76 ERA.

Return to “Raspberry Pi”